Due to popular demand, Pantastic is back! Grab a cheap plastic focus free panorama camera and join the fun! The camera rules and competition details are below. Don’t forget to keep listening to Matt Loves Cameras for updates! You can also check out the Pantastic 2020 competition entries for inspiration.
Scroll down for the camera rules, competition details, and entry form link.
NEW DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES: SUNDAY 17 APRIL 2022
The competition closing date has now been extended to 17 April 2022. If you’ve already submitted an entry before the original closing date of November 2021, feel free to send some more entries in! If you haven’t entered yet, get cracking!
- The camera must be made of plastic.
- The camera must be fixed-focus.
- The camera must weigh less than 150grams / 5oz.
- The camera needs to be capable of taking images in panoramic format. (This means that it can either be a dedicated panoramic camera, or one that switches between full frame and panorama modes. This is usually achieved by a set of blinds or gates masking the top and bottom of the frame.)
- If the camera needs any kind of battery to operate, it’s not eligible to take part. You can always check with me if you’re unsure.
Competition details and entry form
- Photos must be taken between 1 September 2021 and the closing date 17 April 2022.
- On or before the closing date, send up to four of your images in via the Pantastic 2021 Google Forms entry page.
- If possible, make your images a minimum of 3000 pixels on the long side. Crop out the black pano blinds area if you can before submission.
- Be sure to tell me where you took the photos, which camera you used and which film.
- Images can be colour or black and white, and can feature any subject that shows off the panorama format well.
- As the entries roll in, I will feature them on this website.
- Judges will also be taking part.
Fingal Head taken on the Vivitar IC101 Panorama with Ilford HP4.
Cameras that are allowed for Pantastic 2021
Examples of eligible cameras include, but are not limited to:
- Ansco Pix.
- Hanimex Panorama.
- Wide Pic Panorama.
- Halina Panorama.
- Ultronic Panorama.
- Panorama Optical Lens 25mm.
- Vivitar panorama cameras such as the IC101 and PN2011.
As long as you adhere to the rules above, you’re in.
Cameras that aren’t allowed
- No Xpan, Widelux, Linhof, Fuji, Horseman or Horizont cameras are allowed to take part in the challenge.
- No Minolta Riva / Ps – they actually focus so they are way too good.
- No fancy Olympus Stylus or Pentax zoom cameras with pano gates / blinds.
- No Sprocket Rockets – they zone focus.
- If your camera contravenes any of the 5 competition rules above, it’s out.