Here is the Super 8 movie and the images that I describe in episode 53 of Matt Loves Cameras film photography podcast!
Every Summer is my first film photography zine: 48 pages of colour film photography shot on six compact cameras on the Isle of Wight in September 2019.
All of the images below appear in the book, you can listen to the podcast above for descriptions of the images.
Buy Every Summer
Buy a copy of Every Summer before the end of June 2020 and you’ll also receive three limited edition art print postcards!
Every Summer film photography zine
Hello! I’m Matt Murray. I’m a photographer, writer and podcaster from Brisbane, Australia. In 2019, my family and I spent six nights on the Isle of Wight as part of a one-month overseas trip. My wife spent many summers there growing up, but although I’d lived in the UK for 13 years, this was my first visit. When I got back to Australia, I had my film developed: there was something special about these images, so I decided to publish them.
Every Summer is my first film photography zine: forty-eight pages of colour film photographs and original anecdotes about the Isle of Wight. Essentially, it’s a book of images depicting my relationship with England. Comforting. Idyllic. Deeply nostalgic. My photos are influenced by traditional travel photography. Shooting in colour, I like to compose by decluttering what I see through the frame, presenting the viewer with a scene that they could stumble across themselves.
Every Summer zine details
- Full colour perfect bound book.
- 48 pages of colour film photography on uncoated 150gsm paper.
- 4 page colour book cover printed on 300gsm silk paper with a smooth soft touch laminate finish.
- Introduction about the book from the author.
- Anecdotes about locations around the Isle of Wight.
- Two double-page spreads.
- Full details of cameras and film stock used for each photo.
- Three limited edition art prints.
Buy Every Summer film photography zine
US / International orders: $18.95 USD
US / International price includes shipping, a copy of “Every Summer”, and three limited edition art print postcards.
UK orders: £16.50 GBP
UK price includes shipping, a copy of “Every Summer”, and three limited edition art print postcards.
Australian orders: $22.95
A new slightly cheaper Australian price! The third edition of Every Summer has slightly lighter paper (150gsm) than the first Australian edition (170gsm). Price includes shipping, a copy of “Every Summer”, and three limited edition art print postcards.
If you live in Australia and you know what a fantastic guy I am, you can send me $22.95 for Every Summer via this link which will save me $1 on PayPal fees. It’s only for Australian orders in Australian dollars though. If you wish to have PayPal buyer protection, please use the button below:
Take a closer look at Every Summer
48 pages of colour film photography
Every Summer features 48 pages of colour film photography, here’s an excerpt of the PDF contact sheet:
Colour film photographs
Colour film photography shot on location on the Isle of Wight, England, in September 2019.
Every Summer contains anecdotes from the author about locations featured in the book.
Two double-page spreads
Every Summer contains two photos printed as double-page spreads.
Six compact cameras used: from a toy camera to a premium point and shoot
Every Summer features images from six compact cameras:
Full details of each film stock used
Film stocks used in the book: Kodak Pro Image 100, Kodak Ektachrome 100, Kodak Ektar 100, Kodak Gold 200, Kodak Portra 400, Fujifilm Natura 1600.
Three limited edition art print postcards
Every Summer podcast episode
Don’t forget to listen to episode 31 of Matt Loves Cameras “Every Summer: film photography on the Isle of Wight” for more sample images from the book and details on places we visited.
Every Summer e-zine now available
If you like e-zines, you’re in luck! Support Matt Loves Cameras for just $3USD and you will receive a PDF copy of my first film photography zine Every Summer!
In late August 2019, I met a giant of film photography podcasting. I say giant, because not only is he an integral part of one of the world’s favourite analogue photography podcasts, but also becuase he’s actually very tall. I am of course talking about when I drove down from Shropshire to meet Graeme from the Sunny 16 podcast in rural Oxfordshire.
We raced around small villages, we shot expired film on plastic point and shoots, we recorded some audio, we talked about photography, and we were both very, very nervous about getting back to Graeme’s house late for dinner.
Some would call this rendezvous a meeting of two gentlemen, two intellectuals, two scholars. Others would describe it as rerun of Dumb and Dumber. Either way, check out the amazing photos below!
Images talked about in this episode
- Arrivng in Switzerland
- My previous trips to Switerland in 1995 and 2007
- Journey to Wengen in the Jungfrau region
- Trip to see the snow at the Jungfraujoch
- Day trip to Grindewald First to experience the First Glider, mountain karting, and trotti bikes!
- Golden Pass line from Interlaken to Montreux
- Beautiful Montreux on Lake Geneva
- Chateau de Chillon
- Day trip to Gruyeres
- Shopping in Geneva
Images talked about in this episode
Four days, three nights in steamy Hong Kong with a Mint InstantKon RF70 and a fistful of point and shoots. Markets, tram rides, protests, and too many rollercoasters… but how many cameras did I take on my overseas holiday? That is the big question.
- Our trip – one month overseas in Hong Kong, Switzerland and the UK
- Cameras and film I took with me with – carry on
- Cameras I took with me – checked baggage
- Hong Kong arrival
- Hong Kong
- Star Ferry
- Champagne Court camera stores
- Mint Camera store
- Hong Kong trams
- Lots of drama the night we left Hong Kong
- Holga Week – did you shoot your Holga?
- Find out more about the 2019 Emulsive Secret Santa – if you sign up, put on the form that you found out about it from Matt Loves Cameras and maybe Em will *finally* add us to his list of film photography podcasts!
- Episode 18 encouraged Sergio from Fresno, CA to buy a Mint InstantKon RF70!
Hong Kong markets
Hong Kong Harbour. Fujfilm Klasse S, Kodak Portra 400.